Consultation 512-255-3618

New University Study Confirms Toxicity of Dental Mercury

Posted by UGA.EDU - 2016

This 2016 update of the IAOMT’s position statement against dental mercury amalgam fillings (which was originally released in 2013), includes an extensive bibliography on the subject in the form of over 900 citations. Click to view the full document: IAOMT 2016 Position Statement

The University of Georgia’s Department of Health Science has just completed a study on the health risks posed by dental mercury. Their conclusion? Dental surface restorations composed of amalgam (which is a mixture of various heavy metals, including mercury) significantly increases and prolongs total body exposure to this dangerous element – the most toxic, non-radioactive one on the face of the earth. Only radioactive plutonium is more dangerous!

“As toxicologists, we know that mercury is poison, but it all depends on the dose. So, if you have one dental filling, maybe it’s OK. But if you have more than eight dental fillings, the potential risk for adverse effect is higher,” said Xiaozhong Yu, one of the participating researchers and adjunct professor of environmental health science at the university.

In fact, however, because “the dose makes the poison,” mercury is never a safe material for placement in the body. In the case of amalgam dental fillings, it leaches out of the affected teeth and into the patient’s bloodstream. From there, it has open access to every major organ of the body: brain, heart, kidneys, etc. The very immune system itself is at risk, given mercury’s ability to recode cellular DNA.

For those interested in reading the report in the University’s own words, we refer readers to the following site: UGA.EDU